Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Third time's the charm

Last night I introduced my Dad and brother to the cinematic brilliance which is Transformers. Of course, this meant I had to see it for a third time, but, hey, I'm not complaining.

Admittedly, this time round I did start asking myself obvious plotting questions like, why does Optimus Prime carry Sam and Mikaela away from the encounter with Sector 7, when they could have just ridden in his cab in truck form? And he'd have been less obvious as a lorry than as a fifty foot robot running through the city. Plus there seem to be one or two continuity errors. For example, how does Sam get his jeans back on after the cool CD-player Transformer rips them off?

But still, it's a film which stirs my soul, particularly Optimus Prime's speech at the end of the movie: "I have witnessed their capacity for courage and, like us, there is more to them than meets the eye. We live among them now, hidden in plain sight. I'm Optimus Prime and I'm sending this message out to all autobots who have survived in hiding: We are here! We are waiting!"

Yeah, bring on Transformers 2!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous20/4/08 20:51

    He gets his pants back on because they stop to pick up his pants, wallet and his cell phone from where he lost them.

    That said there are plenty of stupid things like saying that the deep ocean has sub-freezing temperatures - it's actually 1 to 4 plus degrees C, harpooning a huge robot from a helicopter etc. It was still a fun film.

    ReplyDelete