Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Sad but not sad; shocked but not shocked

It turns out that the next time I see Grandad will be in the next world. I got the phone call this morning from Dad before I set out to work.

I'm still processing it really. Everything seems a bit still and numb. I feel very calm.

We were expecting this to happen, yet it still feels slightly unexpected. I feel relieved for him, that he has been released from a suspended death. I know where he is now, and who he is with, and I am utterly confident I will see him again. And yet, this is a sad day for me. It's the kind of sadness you get when you hug a friend goodbye at the station, or get in the car and leave at the end of the weekend with your folks. It's the sadness of separation for an indefinite time.

5 comments:

  1. Prayers are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that, mate. We'll be praying for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that Jon. When my Grandad died a couple of years ago it didn't hit me properly for about 3 days, grief is so strange.

    Here's a vrtual hug for you- xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that Jon. It's never easy to know someone loved has gone how ever much you know that you will see them again. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sorry to hear the news, Jon, but yet again beautiful words about your Grandad and the fact that you will see him again. Thinking of you all xx

    ReplyDelete