- Seeing Stephen Fry as he hurriedly left the festival, with a glass of red wine in his hand as he departed through the throng.
- The envious looks as we unpacked our huge shared picnic in the middle of the festival square.
- Manly discussions about manly topics in the 'Man Car'. (The girls got to talk about Twilight and potatoes, apparently.)
- Wandering round Hay itself and in and out of bookshops.
- Meeting up with former group members, Alan and Rhian, at lunchtime.
- Free samples of fair trade fudge.
- ...and, strangely, going to a really well-organised event with covered walkways between marquees, posh portaloos, and virtually no mud, was enjoyable in itself. I was thoroughly impressed.
Monday, May 25, 2009
We had a Book Group trip to Hay-on-Wye on the Bank Holiday. Here are some highlights...