Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Does sex sell?

Adverts I’ve seen in the past 24 hours which have used sex to sell…

Tesco.com
“So what do you have planned for later?” asks Martine McCutcheon, plumbing the depths of corporate soul-selling, and visiting a random bloke in a flat to advertise Tesco. “Nothing,” says the bloke, as two guys from Tesco.com struggle to get a mattress up the stairs.

Red Bull
Two cans of red bull are investigated by a pigeon as various items of clothing rain down around him, accompanied by giggles. Just how would you have sex in mid-air anyway?

Christina Aguilera perfume
“Sometimes it’s all you need to wear,” breathes Christina. Put some clothes on love, you’ll catch your death.

Diet Coke
Three girls jam themselves in the lift so they can be rescued by the hunky maintenance man. Now, if that was me and chicks kept jamming the lift for fun, I’d leave them there.

That godawful advert for Organics shampoo
The best bit about this is the cockatoo telling the aroused woman showering on the beach to ‘keep it down, love’. Cockatoos are cute. But a woman coming in the shower because she’s rubbing glorified soap on her hair raises all kind of Freudian questions.

Random mobile phone company
(see I don’t even know who this is for)
The tagline runs “Don’t let work steal the best bits of your day” as a bloke keeps leaving the office at lunchtime and is just about to kiss his beloved when he finds himself back at his desk. It’s a nicely worked advert, but then you see the bits he’s ‘missing’, including his post-coital, doe-eyed lover lying in bed, the two of them making out in the sea etc. etc. etc.

5 comments:

  1. I like that Vodafone advert (see I was obviously taken in by it!)....but I get your point... that Tesco one is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen most of those adverts thankfully! but I do hate the Organics one! IT'S JUST SHAMPOO YOU DAFT BAT!
    Talking of adverts one other hair product advert I am dispising at the moment is one which promises 'luxurious shine' and you can see a woman's reflection in some hair! good grief! why would you want that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it me, or have all adverts lost their charm these days? When I was younger, oh so much younger than today, a lot of advertisers set out to make you laugh in order to get you to buy their products, and there used to be some damn funny stuff in the ad breaks. Now it's 90% orgasm, 10% Carol Vorderman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what about those people who orgasm when they see Carol Vorderman? For them the assault is relentless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I feel the need to point out that there has also been a revival of 'retro' adverts recently. Aquafresh have re-released their 'pencil drawing style' advert, bringing back a flood of memories from my youth:

    Me - "Mum, can we buy Aquafresh?"
    Mum - "No"

    It is worth noting that now I have my own home I purchase Aquafresh to protect my teeth! IT'S NOT JUST A PRETTY PASTE! woo hoo! I am rebelious! lol

    ReplyDelete