Friday, May 25, 2007

Tom Cruise can act

Being off for a few days with a particularly vicious form of man ‘flu meant I’ve watched quite a few films, including quite a few where I had to take the shrinkwrap cellophane off before watching it! So, after Return of the King, Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Beetle Juice and Pirates of the Caribbean, I got onto a couple of films I hadn’t seen before…

Collateral is perhaps the film which proves Tom Cruise can actually act (unless you think the whole ‘Katie had a baby, so I guess Tom's straight’ thing is a diversion). As in Heat, Michael Mann uses the urban wasteland of LA to great effect, with the city effectively the third major character in the film. The ending is a bit contrived, but the plot works and everybody’s favourite Thetan in disguise puts in a great performance as Vincent. Playing against type as a bad guy clearly works for Tom, so hopefully he’ll take on a few more villainous roles.

Jongudmund’s rating: 8/10

Do you remember when pre-recorded videos were expensive and so you taped films off the telly? I revisited those deprived days of yesteryear and watched a film Cath taped back at Christmas. Down with Love is a ‘screwball comedy’ (danger! danger!) with one major flaw: Renee Zellweger. I don’t know what it is about her, but she has a very odd face. When she smiles it crinkles the wrong way, and when she doesn’t smile she looks slightly retarded. I have no idea how she has made a career playing romantic leads.

But, weird-looking leading lady apart, the film’s passable. Ewan McGregor is always god value and David Hyde Pierce is surely one of the most gifted comic actors around, even if he is playing yet another version of Niles Crane. While there are some funny scenes, and some decent dialogue, most of the key scenes are contrived and the performances smelt so much of ham I thought I was in the sandwich meat aisle in Tesco.

The thing which struck me most though, about the film, is that seeing him in thick glasses and a side parting, Ewan McGregor would make a great Clark Kent. Why wasn’t he signed up to play Superman in the limp ‘Returns’? With a knowing smile and a slightly feral glint in his eye, he’d be a fantastic Superman.

Jongudmund’s rating: 5/10


And is it nerdy that when I watched Beetle Juice I recognised Glenn Shaddix's name because he played the Mayor in Nightmare Before Christmas...?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous25/5/07 13:32

    GAH! Tom Cruise.
    Must admit I haven't seen Collateral though so cannot fairly comment.

    Down With Love...terrible.

    And yes you are a geek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assmume you meant Ewan was GOOD value...? Or perhaps he is the new God, I don't know... -laughs and laughs and laughs-

    ReplyDelete