Wednesday, June 07, 2023

Football season review 2022-23 in figures

Here's my season in stats courtesy of the lovely Futbology App.


The blank team logo in the highest score is Aberystwyth Exiles. Their logo isn't included on the app. I'd never seen a team score 16 goals in a competitive game before this season. I doubt I will see it again. Cardiff Corinthians are probably going to be my all-time top scorers in one game. Strangely, a few months later I found out that a new guy in my office called Charlie played in goal for Aber Exiles in this game! He made some good saves in the game as well and prevented it being an even higher score. 

I went to 21 new grounds - one fewer new ground compared to 2021-22. They had a nice spread to them, though, with those far-flung grounds in England all places where I watched Shrewsbury play.


My new grounds in Cymru were all in the South. 


This southern bias is mainly because the furthest North that Barry played was in Newtown and it wasn't a new ground. Oddly, I've seen Barry play at Latham Park in Newtown more than I've seen Newtown play there!

Some other random stats

488 - the miles in the round trip to see Ipswich Town v Shrewsbury Town. I wasn't driving. 

15 Shrewsbury Town games - which is a new personal record in the 21st Century! I haven't been to that many Shrewsbury games in a season since I was a youth. This also included 'home and away' games against Cheltenham Town and Peterborough United and both teams 'did the double' over Shrewsbury.

3 Trophy Presentations

2 cup finals - both won by Barry Town

2 penalty shoot-outs

1 nil-nil scoreline (in May! It was my first 0-0 for over a year and 75 football matches)

Another highlight was seeing the son of one of my longstanding friends as Shrewsbury mascot for the day in a fantastic win over Cambridge United. We also took my youngest nephew and niece to their first ever Shrewsbury game and they even got certificates to prove it, although they were more happy about being given Easter Eggs. It feels like the flame is being passed on to a new generation of fans!


And some Futbology milestones

I loves me a Futbology badge. I picked up a few for total numbers of games, grounds and times seeing particular teams. 


(I blogged about this particular badge back in November because I realised my behaviour was being shaped by the app!)



Two badges for Cardiff teams - the Dracs...


...and Cardiff Met. Getting this badge for my only 0-0 game of the season was amusing. 


And finally, a day out in Brizzle earned me my first badge for another English football league club besides Shrewsbury.


Although there is something reductive in describing a season in stats, I feel this is probably the best way to summarise it!

No comments:

Post a Comment