Thursday, March 17, 2022

Snack of the Month - buying buns on holiday

OK, this is my last holiday post, I promise. Regular readers will know I do a snack of the month feature. This month I'm doing something a bit different and blogging about a snack I had on holiday.

The snack was a Belgian Bun from Martin's Dairy, which is a little bakery shop on the quayside in Looe in Cornwall. I have borrowed this photo from their website because, inexplicably, I didn't take a photo of this bun before I ate it. I hope they don't mind me borrowing their photo, but it will be in the context of the most positive Snack of the Month review I have ever written and probably will ever write. 


How good was this bun? I will put it as simply as I can. 

THIS BUN HAVE RUINED ME FOR BUNS FROM NOW ON.

Seriously, I think every time I have a bun from this point forward I will be comparing it to the Belgian Bun from Martin's Dairy. They were that good. The bready bit was perfectly done - not dry, not wet, with that elastically gluteny texture of an ideally baked bun. There was enough jam in the folds of the bun, not too much, not too little, exactly the optimal amount. A few raisins. Just enough to notice them. Not too many. The icing was more like a thick glaze not a fondant. 

They were exceptional. 

After we had finished eating our buns, Cathy looked at me and said, "Soooo, are we going back to Looe tomorrow morning?" (We didn't. We should have.)

Have these really ruined me for buns? Well, I tried two other baked products on holday after these buns that really sounded like they would have been my sort of thing. A "Chelsea doughnut" - a Chelsea bun cooked like a doughnut - and a cinnamon bun from a bakery claiming the title of oldest continuing bakery business in England (and also claims they may have supplied biscuits to the passengers on the Mayflower). 

Neither were anywhere near as good as the Belgian Bun from Martin's Dairy. 

I really doubt any bun will ever be as good. 

So, if you're passing Looe, stop and buy one. Even if you're not passing Looe, drive there and try one. See if I'm wrong about this. But be warned. It might just ruin you for buns too.


Something else we saw in Looe

We were parked on the quayside and when we went back to our car, we saw a chap eating a fish and chip supper in his car, being stared at by a couple of seagulls on his bonnet.

They wanted some chips! He turned his engine on. They didn't budge. He turned his windscreen wipers on. They didn't budge. So he sat there eating his fish and chips and they just stood there peering through the windscreen at him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment