Thursday, November 02, 2006

Weekend shame

It was only when my office compadre Matt challenged me that I was “going a bit nancy” that I realised I shouldn’t leave my CDs lying around after I’ve ripped them onto my desktop. The CD in question is a guilty pleasure that I indulged in last weekend. Yes, that’s right… I now own I don’t feel like dancin’ by Scissor Sisters. It wasn’t the only disc I bought at the weekend. I also bought the double-CD best of Van Halen (who I’ve mentioned before), but I got a few comments about that too!

It made me think. I actually do have a pretty shameful musical palate, of which the mightily fey Scissor Sisters are only the tip of the iceberg. So, here’s my run-down of secret guilty audio pleasures. I challenge anyone else to be brave enough to admit liking songs/bands that are as universally derided as these…

Ace of Base: Happy Nation (someone ‘borrowed’ my album years ago and I’ve always mourned the loss, much to Cath’s disgust)
Ant & Dec: The Cult of Ant & Dec (no, seriously, it was a couple of quid)
U2: Zooropa – you know, the album nobody ever talks about, not even U2. I love it.
Belinda Carlisle: We dream the same dreams (I know it's actually called something else) – I don’t own it, but I always sing along if it’s on the radio
Tiffany – I think we’re alone now – ditto, it's a singalong one
I own every Midnight Oil album, and I know every Thousand Yard Stare song (not the band from Arizona – the one from Slough)
I always sing along to Tom Jones and I love the single he just released with Chicane

I’m sure there’s more I could add to this list, or my close friends could add for me…

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/11/06 10:07

    I can't sit still if 'Kung Fu Fighting' by Bus Stop come on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/11/06 13:27

    It's Matt here, although I did mock Jon repeatedly about his Scisor sisters album. I feel the need to confess some of the more 'abstract' songs I have on my iTunes collection:
    Hanson - Where's the Love
    'The Sound of Music' Soundtrack
    'Fame' Soundtrack, along with songs from - Steps, Spice Girls, Boyzone, MC Hammer, Lionel Richie & Dianna Ross. The list goes on...
    I feel so ashamed...

    ReplyDelete