Friday, April 29, 2011

A post that's not really about the Royal Wedding

I drove home from Gateshead to Cardiff today, thinking that the world would be watching the Royal Wedding so the roads would be quiet.

Apparently much of the world had the same idea, with many people taking advantage of the extra day off to get in a long weekend away with the caravan. Unfortunately my idea of counting the caravans and camper vans to provide me with some blog fodder backfired, as I missed a motorway turn and so we ended up in Leicester.

(I counted 313 before the realisation that I was on the wrong road struck! That total includes 5 'Herbie Vans' - still the coolest campers ever.)

Anyway, that added about 30 minutes to our journey. Cathy did some first-class navigating to get us back on track.

I'm not sure I missed much by opting to drive than watch TV. I gather the bride wore a nice dress.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing really. I'm kind of ambivalent - it's nice that they got married, but I don't always want to go to weddings of people I know, let alone strangers. (I don't mind the actual weddings - it's the hours of standing around waiting for photos to be taken and the interminable discos I can't really stand.)

But it's over now, and with any luck the world will return to some semblence of normality fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment