Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The downswing

I've been off anti-depressants for over six months now, and generally am doing okay. But what I have to watch out for are the downswings in mood.

For me, the drugs established a basement level beyond which I couldn't spike down, so now I'm not on them, I'm having to learn how to handle the downswings. That means recognising when I'm stressed and doing something about it, and also seeking out the things which help me not feel so down. Guitar Hero, when I can master the damn song, is one way.

And Spring is coming up. I'm not sure why, but I always find Spring a tough time. I usually feel like ditching my job, and running off around the world. I often think it's my genetic wanderlust coming out. After all Spring was 'raiding season' for my Viking forbears. I'm not making that up - my Viking Omma (Grandma) has a family tree which stretches through the Sagas to the 6th Century and includes several 'sailor adventurers' - a euphemism for pirate and sea-raider.

Ah Spring! The pillaging season.

No comments:

Post a Comment