Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Published

Third Way arrived today and I’ve got a letter published in it. What I’m most chuffed about is that it’s right in the middle of the letters page with my name in big bold type. OK, I know it’s only a letter, but it’s still nice to know I can write coherently enough for an editor to choose my letter from the hundreds/thousands/tens they receive every month.

Background: Last issue they introduced Claire Fox from the Revolutionary Communist Party (relevant political mover and shaker, obviously, what with communism's implosion nearly 20 years ago) who blathered on a bit about how she became a communist and why she was anti-anti-apartheid. But the cover picture showed her striking a pose with a cigarette which irresistibly reminded me of when I was 17 and my friends joined the SWP, ANL or whatever, and smoked as a sign of their rebellion against society. I always felt smoking was a particularly stupid part of the posturing then, and I still feel that way now.

Cue my letter:

Nice to see that Claire Fox is still a rebel at heart. Why else would she strike a 'look at me, I'm so cool and rebellious I smoke!" pose on the cover of Third Way.
It's hard to respect a revolutionary communist who's also a nicotine slave, and through her addiction funds global capitalism while being the consumer at the end of a long chain of third world oppression. But then, maybe by smoking she's being anti-anti-capitalist. Or something.


I guess being sarcastic about their interview subjects is the way to go if I want to get my name in print more often!

1 comment:

  1. Can I have your autograph please?! I challenge you to get a letter in he obscurest publication you can possibly find and put it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete