Sunday, January 07, 2007

Precocity = arrogance?

On Google's customisable homepage you can have quotes of the day to read. Today this gem from Mark Twain was included: "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Here's an interesting historical note. When I left Sixth Form College I had to prepare a 'personal statement' for my Record of Achievement. I just wrote down that Mark Twain quote and handed it in. My form tutor went ballistic, telling me that when I gave that to an employer they'd think I was an arrogant so and so. But I wasn't so easily dissuaded and the quote stayed in.

To this day, some thirteen and a bit years later, I've never had to show an employer that Record of Achievement. But I'm pretty sure they didn't need to read my personal statement to work out if I was 'arrogant' or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment